Homeowner Grant Application Process (Via the Province)
The Homeowner Grant MUST be applied for each year before the Property Tax payment deadline (July 4 this year) or a Provincial penalty will be applied. Homeowners must make application to the Province for the Home Owner Grant.
Go to the Provincial Website or call Toll-free 1-888-355-2700 for more information and to make application.
Additional Information on the Homeowner Grant
The Home Owner Grant is available to eligible homeowners who pay property taxes on the home where they reside. The following summarizes the process and guidelines for applying for the Home Owner Grant, which is now done through the Province.
- Homeowners must apply each year
- Only one registered owner, who qualifies, is to apply
- To apply online, visit https://www.etax.gov.bc.ca/btp/HOG/_/
- To apply by phone, call toll free 1 888 355-2700
- When you apply, you will need your Social Insurance Number
- Must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- Live in BC
- Occupy the residence as your principal residence
- Apply before the tax due date to avoid a penalty
There will be a process change for those applying for a disability grant online – the Province will not be asking for documentation upfront at the time of submission, as they are making the process easier and streamlined.
If you require internet services, the Prince Rupert Library provides free Wi-Fi as well as eight public internet terminals.
Property Tax Deferment
You may qualify to defer your taxes on your principal residence for the current tax year, if you are:
- 55 years or older, a surviving spouse, or a person with disability, or
- Financially support a dependent child with disability or is under the age of 18
- You must apply online, not at the municipality. Visit the Provincial Website
If you currently defer your property taxes, please refer to your Annual Statement of Account to verify you have selected the automated renewal option or not.