Bylaw Ticketing, Fine Payment and Disputes

In the City of Prince Rupert, a Bylaw Enforcement Officer or an authorized City Representative may issue a Bylaw Ticket notice to a person or company for a violation to a City Bylaw. The City of Prince Rupert Bylaw Dispute Adjudication System manages Bylaw Enforcement Notices (tickets) in Prince Rupert. This system is authorized under the Local Government Bylaw Notice Enforcement Act.

Paying a Bylaw Ticket

Please note that unpaid Bylaw Ticket fines may be sent to collections. If you would like to report an incoming payment, or would like to request a payment plan, please contact the Bylaw Department. 

  • Online - Directly scan the QR Code on the frontof the ticket with the camera on your smartphone to be taken automatically to an online payment option. OR, if you don't have the ticket but have your license plate number and infraction number, head to this website to pay:
  • By Mail – Cheque or money order (no cash) can be sent to: City of Prince Rupert, 424 3rd Ave West, Prince Rupert, BC, V8J 1L7
  • In Person – Cash, cheque, credit or Interac accepted at City Hall, 424 3rd Avenue West, Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. After hours and statutory holidays – put cheque or money order in City Hall mailbox, directly outside the entrance to City Hall.
    • If paying by cheque, make your cheque payable to the City of Prince Rupert, in Canadian Funds and send it, along with the other required information listed below, to: City of Prince Rupert, 424 3rd Avenue West, Prince Rupert, BC, V8J 1L7
    • If you are paying by a money order or cheque, please ensure that it is payable to the City of Prince Rupert.

A receipt will not be sent back to you. Your payment must be accompanied by a copy of the front of the ticket or a note giving sufficient information to the municipality, including:

  • The ticket number from the top right hand corner of the ticket
  • Your full name and mailing address
  • The date of the offence and the bylaw name and section of the offence

If you do not provide sufficient details, your payment might not be credited to you and the fine may remain outstanding. By paying the fine, you will be deemed to have pled guilty to the described offence.

Disputing a Bylaw Ticket

Submit a Ticket Dispute

What is Adjudication?

The Adjudication System allows the City to manage bylaw disputes locally rather than through the Provincial Court system. Tickets can be disputed out of court with an adjudicator appointed by the Province.

Why is Adjudication used?

  • Simplifies dispute process
  • Removes minor bylaw tickets from the Provincial Court system
  • Reduces ticket dispute time
  • Reduces need to employ lawyers or enforcement officers to take cases to court
  • More convenient; tickets can be disputed online
  • More cost effective and efficient system

How does Adjudication Work?

OPTION A: Pay Ticket

  • Reduced penalty payment within 14 days.
  • Full penalty payment after 14 days.
  • Note that there is a QR Code that enables users to pay their tickets online.

OPTION B: Dispute Ticket

Ticket Dispute Process

1. Dispute Request:

Fill out and submit a Dispute Request Form, located on the City’s website (here). You must submit the form by the date indicated on the front of the ticket.

2. Compliance Officer:

Reviews details of the ticket with all parties.

Compliance Officer can:

a. if applicable, cancel a ticket.

b. enter into a Compliance Agreement and reduce the penalty upon completion.

c. uphold the ticket.

d. forward to an Adjudication hearing.

3. Adjudication Hearing:

A date and time for the adjudication is provided and a hearing is scheduled to occur at City Hall.

After evidence is presented, the adjudicator decides if an offence did or did not occur.

a. If an offence did occur, the ticket must be paid in full, plus an additional $25 administrative fee.

b. If an offence did not occur, the ticket is cancelled and no penalties are assessed.

For more information on the process, check out our brochure (PDF).

Frequently Asked Questions