Information for Residents



Opportunities for public input

Residents are invited to provide input and feedback on commercial and residential developments proposed for Prince Rupert. As part of the Development Application process, all developments which do not comply with existing guidelines provided in the Official Community Plan and associated Zoning Bylaw are required to hold an open public hearing to allow Mayor and Council the opportunity to hear citizen feedback. After hearing from the community, Council is then responsible for a final decision regarding the development, based on whether it is considered to be in the best interests of the community.

Public Hearings are advertised in the local newspaper and on our website in the Notices Section – so keep an eye out for potential opportunities to provide input.

In addition, any time there is a broader scale renewal or updating of the Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw, there will also be opportunities for public input, which will be advertised in the newspaper and Notices Section of the website as well. 


What are the regulations that apply to my home or property?

Property owners in Prince Rupert are impacted by the City’s Official Community Plan and Zoning Bylaw, the two primary documents that indicate the different land uses permitted in different areas of Prince Rupert.

Additionally, almost all construction undertaken within the City of Prince Rupert requires a building permit. If you are unsure whether the work you are planning on doing requires a permit, contact the Building Department at City Hall for more information on the requirements of the City’s Building Bylaw. For a quick review of the City’s building permitting procedures and requirements, see our Guidelines for Contractors pamphlet.

For information specifically about developing a Secondary Suite on your property, check out our Information Guide on Secondary Suites. 

If you are looking to make changes to the use of your residential, commercial or industrial property, the rules laid out in the OCP and Zoning Bylaw, as well as relevant Permit Area Guidelines will help you to understand whether you are required to apply for any special permits, or if rezoning of your property may be required.

The City of Prince Rupert has an interactive map called "GOMAP" that will show you the different zoning and development permit area regulations, as well as legal descriptions and other information that applies to your residential, commercial, or industrial property, as well as surrounding areas. It is available in the top right hand corner of our website landing page menu as well. 

Interactive Map of City of Prince Rupert (GOMAP)