The first municipal election took place on May 19, 1910 with two candidates running for mayor, William Manson and Alfred Stork. There were fourteen candidates for aldermen and four candidates for school trustees. Four polling booths were set up in the Provincial Land Registry building on Second Avenue and 1025 voters cast their ballots. Alfred Stork won with 557 votes beating William Manson by 104 votes according to the Prince Rupert Optimist, May 23, 1910.
William Manson, Prince Rupert's second mayor won the mayorality in the 1911 election. Manson was the government agent and stipendiary magistrate of the Skeena District in 1907 and moved to Prince Rupert in 1908 when the government offices were moved from Port Simpson. He also served as the Conservative MLA from 1910 to 1917. Manson Way was named in honour of William Manson.
T.D. (Duff) Pattullo was elected as alderman in that first election and went on to become Mayor in 1913. He was elected to the legislature in 1917 and was appointed Minister of Lands for the Liberal government. He was premier of B.C. from 1933 to 1941 and Pattullo Bridge, Pattullo Park, and Mount Pattullo are named after him.
Since the City was incorporated on March 10, 1910 other mayors elected included Sam Newton, M.P. McCaffery, Thomas McClymont, Harry Rochester, S.P. McMordie, Cyril H. Orme, M.M. Stephens, W.M. Watts, H.M. Daggett, Nora E. Arnold, George Rudderham, H.S. Whalen, George Hills, Peter J. Lester, John Kuz, Jack Mussallem, Don Scott, and Herb Pond.
The city has been governed by a mayor, and council, since its incorporation in 1910 but that ended when the city was declared bankrupt in1933. The Provincial Government appointed W.J. Alder, a former resident, to act as Commissioner for the Corporation of the City of Prince Rupert. Mr. Alder arrived on May 15, 1933 to assume his duties of restoring the city to a sound financial basis. The Provincial Government announced in October 1942 that the municipal government was to be restored and an election was called for December 17, 1942.
Nora Arnold served on council from 1943 to 1946. She was the first woman elected as Mayor in Prince Rupert and served from 1947 to 1949. She received national recognition for her community activities and was named Canada's Woman of the Year in 1948 by the Business and Professional Women's Club. The terms of office were only for one year until 1948 when they became two-year terms.
Prince Rupert's longest serving mayor Peter J. Lester was elected as a council member in 1956 and went on to become mayor in 1958. He served as the mayor of Prince Rupert for 17 terms of office for 36 years continuously.
Back row: G.R. Naden, F. Mobley, A.A. McIntyre, W.P. Lynch, J.H. Hilditch
Front row: V.W. Smith, T.D. (Duff) Pattullo, Mayor Alfred Stork, and A.R. Barrow