Want to know what happened at last night's Council meeting? Check out the latest Council Corner update, linked below. For updates from past meetings, check out our Council Corner Archive.
Update from Council Meeting — February 26th, 2018
- Council held a Committee of the Whole meeting.
- Council voted for the Development Variance Permit at 144 9th Avenue East to proceed to final consideration.
- Council heard a report from the Chief Financial Officer regarding the 2018 budget. The budget presentation addressed many of the continued challenges faced by the City—including the Ridley Island Tax Sharing Agreement with Port Edward, Provincial Port Property Tax caps, airport ferry, and infrastructure needs. Still, due to projected new revenues in 2018, staff are proposing a 0% increase to the residential mill rate. At the meeting, Council voted to receive the CFO’s report for information purposes, and delay direction to staff regarding the budget until after the public consultation and final BC Assessment values are released. A budget document will be released to the public March 2nd, and public consultations will be held March 12th and March 26th in Council Chambers.
- Council voted to give second reading to Zoning Bylaw Amendment No. 3410 for the implementation of a supportive housing zone at 333 11th Avenue East, and schedule a public hearing for March 26th, 2018 at 7pm in Council Chambers. Council also passed the corresponding Housing Agreement that will go into effect if the Zoning Bylaw Amendment passes.
- Council voted to develop an invitation schedule for taxpayer-funded organizations to present an annual progress report and discuss opportunities for enhancing civic programs at monthly Committee of the Whole meetings.