As we approach another cold snap, and Rupertites are looking to warm up, see below for some quick tips on fire prevention:
- Avoid electrical fires - Don't overload your outlets by plugging more than one heat-producing appliance into an outlet at once or “piggyback” extra appliances on extension cords or wall outlets.
- Ensure your smoke alarms are working. Check expiry dates, as they expire every ten years, and change your batteries regularly.
- Keep a faucet open to reduce the risk of frozen pipes, if they do freeze - please thaw them with fire safety in mind. Using a blowdryer or hot towels are examples of easy methods to safely thaw your pipes
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters. Space heaters should not be left on unattended.
Please feel free to share these tips with your friends/neighbours, and stay safe and warm out there!