Please see below for an update from Monday's Council Meeting. For past meetings, check out Council Corner Archive.
Update from Council Meeting — September 9th, 2019
- Council heard a presentation from Michelle Kirby, from the Provincial Ministry of Children and Family Development on new child care programming and capital funding availability. More information on those programs , including an Affordable Child Care Benefit, can be found at: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/family-social-supports/caring-for-young-children
- Council voted to issue a Development Variance Permit for 523 7th Avenue East.
- Council voted to issue a Development Permit to Rupert Lawn and Garden for renewal of their building in Seal Cove and the development of a café on site.
- Council heard a presentation from the Chief Financial Officer regarding the July 2019 Financial Variance Report.
- Council gave the first three readings to the Permissive Property Tax Exemption Bylaw No. 3447, 2019, which identifies the local organizations and properties that are proposed to be exempted from municipal property taxes for either 4 years or 8 years, depending on the type of organization. The Bylaw has now moved to the public notification phase.
- Council adopted the 5 Year Financial Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 3446, 2019, which enabled the City to defer a portion of funding for the dam into the next fiscal year when the majority of construction will take place, and also to draw on funds set aside to pay for the removal of a WWII-era tank from the Moresby area.
- Council voted in favour of the staff recommendation to award the Moresby Tank Removal project to Sumas Environmental Services.
- Council passed Zoning Bylaw Amendment Bylaw 3445, 2019 and Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw 3443, 2019 which will rezone the property at Biggar Place (5 Corners) from Residential to Commercial use.