Please see below for an update from the latest Council meeting. For an archive of Council summaries, go to: http://www.princerupert.ca/city_hall/council_meetings/council_archive
Update from Council Meeting — October 22nd, 2018
- Council approved a grant application to UBCM’s Community Emergency Preparedness Fund for $11,100 towards capacity-building for the Prince Rupert Emergency Social Services Program.
- Council awarded 2019 Community Enhancement Grants to a number of community organizations, and requested staff to explore a new in-kind granting opportunity and provide further recommendations to modernize the Community Enhancement Grant program in future. These funds are in addition to those provided on a contractual basis to other community organizations such as the Lester Centre, SPCA, Museum of Northern BC, and the Golf Society.
- Council directed staff to enter into a contract with Eiffage Canada Inc for the Woodworth Dam replacement project for $16,543550 + GST. The dam is to be replaced over the next year.
- Council voted to Proclaim October 2018 as Foster Family Month in the City of Prince Rupert.
- Council voted to Proclaim October 24, 2018 as World Polio Day in the City of Prince Rupert.
- Council gave First, Second and Third Readings to the Council Procedure Amendment Bylaw No. 3431, 2018, which changes language regarding the inaugural meeting of Council so that it is scheduled in the first Monday of the month following the election. The Bylaw will be up for final consideration at a Special meeting November 1st.
- This was the final meeting of outgoing Councillor, Joy Thorkelson, who served 4 terms as a City Councillor for Prince Rupert. The Mayor and each Council member personally thanked Councillor Thorkelson for all of her time dedicated to serving the community.
- Councillor Niesh reported that the Recreation Commission is developing a sub-committee to develop a ‘fairness’ policy with respect to the allocation of recreation space.
- Councillor Randhawa asked that staff prepare another letter to be sent to the College requesting funding to a local ESL program, cc’ing the associate Provincial and Federal ministries.