Want to know what happened at last night's Council meeting? Check out the latest Council Corner update, linked below. For updates from past meetings, check out our Council Corner Archive.
Update from Council Meeting — October 16th, 2017
- Mayor and Council heard a presentation regarding the renaming of Northwest Community College. Council directed staff to provide a letter to the NWCC in support of their name change with the condition that local community members should always receive priority over international students.
- Council voted for a Development Variance Permit Application at 508 8th Avenue East to proceed to Final Consideration.
- Council voted for a Development Variance Permit Application at 1034 1st Avenue West proceed to Public Notification.
- Council voted for a Development Variance Permit Application at 160 Van Arsdol St. proceed to Public Notification.
- As per a request from Katrine Conroy, Minister of Children and Family Development, Council proclaimed October, 2017 as “Foster Family Month” in the City of Prince Rupert.
- Council adopted the 2018–2019 Permissive Property Tax Exemption Amendment Bylaw No. 3417, 2017.
- Council gave First, Second and Third Readings to the 2017 Five Year Financial Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 3418, 2017.
- The Mayor spoke regarding upcoming public engagement opportunities, including the continuation of the Redesign Rupert program via a grant of $150k from the Rural Dividend fund, and the hosting an Open House regarding the progress being made on Watson Island in November, and the Hay’s 2.0 Blueprint Town Hall meeting at Lester Centre on November 22, 2017 from 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Posters will be distributed with more information and posted online.