Want to know what happened at last night's Council meeting? Check out the latest Council Corner update, linked below. For updates from past meetings, check out our Council Corner Archive.
Update from Council Meeting — November 14th, 2017
- Council heard a delegation from the North Coast Transition Society (NCTS) and North Coast MLA Jennifer Rice. MLA Rice announced that in March, 44 transitional housing units will be delivered to Prince Rupert, and administered by the NCTS. The City has been working with BC Housing to identify an appropriate site for the development. In the interim, NCTS, BC Housing, the MLA’s office, Mayor and Council, and the Unemployed Action Centre are working to find a location for an emergency shelter to also be administered by NCTS.
- Council heard a presentation from Ken Shaw, President of Transition Prince Rupert regarding the McKay St Park project. Council voted to support the development of the nature play portion of the site and the use of City land in executing this part of the project.
- Council voted for a Development Variance Permit Application at 535 Hays Cove Circle to proceed to Final Consideration.
- Council received a Financial Variance report from the Chief Financial Officer for the month of September.
- Council voted to send a letter to the Minister of Municipal Affairs regarding Affordable Housing, with emphasis on the need for an emergency shelter,. A mention of thanks to the Province regarding their announcement for 44 units earlier in the meeting will also be included.
- Council gave first and second readings to the proposed Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 3419, 2017 to Temporarily Establish Commercial Marijuana Operations as a Prohibited Use in all Zones. This bylaw is an extension of the bylaw passed last year as a response to the Federal announcement regarding their legalization strategy for marijuana. The extension is required in order to give adequate time for legislative changes to take effect. A Public Hearing be scheduled for December 11th, 2017 at 7:00 pm.