The City of Prince Rupert will be holding a General Local Election, Saturday October 20th, 2018.
Prince Rupert voters will elect:
- One mayor
- Six councillors
- Seven school trustees for School District 52.
Requirements to vote or be a candidate
To vote or run in the election, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older on general voting day
- Be a Canadian citizen
- Have lived in BC for at least 6 months immediately before election day or the day nomination papers are filed
- Not be disqualified by law from voting, or from being nominated, elected, or holding office.
- To run for office in a municipal election, you must be nominated by at least 2 eligible electors.
Are you registered to vote?
Voters can register or update their information through the online voter registration system at www.elections.bc.ca/ovr until August 28th, 2018. After that date, registration can only occur at the time of voting.
General Voting Day
Voting will take place Saturday, October 20, 2018 from 8:00am to 8:00pm at the following location:
- Prince Rupert Recreation Complex - Auditorium
Advance voting will take place Wednesday, October 10th, 2018 and Wednesday, October 17th, 2018 at the following location:
- City Hall 3rd Avenue West
Voting locations are made as accessible as possible to people with disabilities or impaired mobility. Individuals who find it difficult to enter a voting location may request a ballot brought to them in the parking lot or at curbside by an Election Official.
Individuals unable to mark their own ballot or who require a translator may ask an Election Official, friend or relative for assistance. Anyone helping an elector with filling out a ballot will be required to sign a Declaration of Persons Assisting an Elector to Mark a Ballot form.