The role of our department is to plan for and oversee the maintenance and renewal of our public works infrastructure including:
- The municipal roads and street network, including street lights, traffic signs, bridges, sidewalks and pathways
- The potable water supply and distribution system
- Liquid waste management
- Solid waste collection and disposal
- City parks and playgrounds
- The Fairview Cemetery
We are also actively involved with:
- Implementation of the Annual Capital Improvement Program (i.e. road paving and other Public Works capital expenditure projects).
- Participation in the activities of the City land and property development team to ensure that new developments, from small in-fill projects to larger subdivisions, are constructed to City Standards using good engineering practice.
- Liaison with and engineering support to numerous government agencies, business interests, and various local service group and individuals.
- Regulation of all activities on City streets, boulevards, park land, and road & lane